WHO WE ARE
Sunday Assembly Los Angeles is a secular community gathering that promotes a worldview grounded in evidence and reason and celebrates the one life we know we all have. We recognize the social value of regular congregation with like-minded people to share fellowship, promote common good and make a positive impact in the larger community, values that religious people have enjoyed for centuries. In the words of Sunday Assembly's founders, we are using "the best bits of church, without the religion; oh, and awesome pop songs." We work to encourage people to "Live better. Help often. Wonder more."
Duties: To manage the day-to-day operations of SALA and help expand the organization’s fundraising and volunteer capacity. This role is one part administration, one part fundraising, one part community development.
Time: Full-time (30+ hours per week), daytime hours plus occasional evening events
Location: On-site 2 days per week, full-day event each 2nd Sunday of the month, off-site otherwise
Salary: 30k-39k, paid vacation and sick days
Reports to: Director
As Community Organizer, you will:
- Manage memberships and membership renewals
- Manage our Quickbooks account and bookkeeping
- Manage the SALA Google Calendar
- Monitor incoming communications (mail, email, vm)
- Document current workflows and processes and update as needed
- Help develop an expanded fundraising plan
- Plan and execute fundraising events as needed
- Research and identify key volunteers in the local community
- Conduct 1:1 meetings to build relationships, interest with new members and volunteers
- Assist with training and development of volunteers
Skills: Organization, communication, Google Drive, Quickbooks, social media experience, web skills a plus, CRM preferred, nonprofit/fundraising exp or willing to learn, experience with Nationbuilder a plus.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a flair for networking and building relationships
- Excellent organizational ability and attention to detail with sound project management skills
- Creative, flexible approach to fundraising and volunteer management
- Knowledge of social media platforms including Twitter and Facebook
- Live event management and/or performance background a bonus.
- Your own workspace with Internet and phone access
- Transportation and availability to attend community events, especially Sunday Assembly on the 2nd Sunday of each month
- Flexibility to work in Venice or a nearby co-working space ~two days a week
- Must be able to connect easily with people of all backgrounds
- Strategic thinker with the ability to motivate others and deliver goals
- Fast learner; able to reflect on performance and take responsibility for professional development
- Self motivated; able to work at a distance with the team.
You might have experience in these areas:
- Fundraising, Executive Assistant, Volunteer Coordination, Community Outreach, Project Management
- Paid vacation and sick days, 5 federal holidays
- Flexible work schedule and plenty of autonomy
- Work with a team of motivated, enthusiastic volunteers that includes highly skilled professionals from various industries
- Be a part of a burgeoning, international movement, as profiled on Morgan Spurlock's "30 Days," "NPR's Morning Edition" and "To the Point," and covered by NPR, Wallstreet Journal, Al Jazeera, the Daily Beast, ABC, USA Today and many more.
- Network with scientists, speakers, artists, authors and other high profile guests
- Co-create the role of employee #1 at Sunday Assembly Los Angeles and, as the first US staff member and one of the first few staff members worldwide, help set a precedent for over 70 Assemblies globally.
- Excellent potential for growth